James Blakes News and Trivia
James Blake (born December 28, 1979) is a former American professional tennis player.
James Blake is known for his speed and powerful, flat forehand. During his career, Blake had amassed 24 singles finals appearances (10–14 record), while his career-high singles ranking was World No. 4.
His career highlights included reaching the final of the 2006 Tennis Masters Cup, the semifinals of the Beijing Olympics and the quarterfinals of the Australian Open (2008) and US Open (2005, 2006), as well as being the former American No. 1. His two titles for the United States at the Hopman Cup are an event record.
Blake was a key performer for the United States 2007 Davis Cup championship team, going 2–0 in the championship tie vs. Russia at second singles. In 2005, Blake was presented with the Comeback Player of the Year award for his remarkable return to the tour. Later, in 2008, Blake was awarded another honor by the ATP, where he was named the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year
On July 3, 2007, Blake’s autobiography Breaking Back: How I Lost Everything and Won Back My Life, which discussed his comeback after his unlucky 2004 season, was released and debuted at No. 22 on the New York Times Best Seller list. He co-wrote this book with Andrew Friedman. Blake announced that he would retire from tennis after competing at the 2013 US Open, to which he suffered a first round loss after five sets against Ivo Karlovic. Blake’s career ended on August 29, 2013, after a 6–2 2–6 2–6 doubles loss in the 2013 US Open.
James Blake Trivia:
- James Blake he appeared in People magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive issue.
- He has a brother Thomas, who has also been a professional tennis player, and three older half-brothers: Jason, Christopher and Howard, and a half-sister Michelle.
- James Blake was inspired to pursue tennis after hearing his role model Arthur Ashe speak to the Harlem Junior Tennis Program.
- James Blake attended Fairfield High School in Fairfield, Connecticut, where a schoolmate and childhood friend was future musician John Mayer.
- James Blake enjoys golf and basketball and is a fan of the New York Mets. He was featured on Bravo’s second edition of Celebrity Poker Showdown but got 2nd after losing to Maura Tierney.
- On November 9, 2012, Blake married Emily Snider, a publicist, in a beach ceremony in California. They have a daughter, Riley Elizabeth, born in June 2012
- James Blake was also a red pro on Full Tilt Poker
James Blake News:
On May 7, 2014, four dead bodies were discovered after a fire in a Tampa mansion that Blake owned and was leasing out. A neighbor, who was walking her dog(s), heard a loud explosion and saw a house engulfed in flames around 5:40 a.m., and called 911. The bodies still need to be identified along with the remains of the home to be investigated