Rory McIlroy Sports Gossip News and Trivia
Rory McIlroy, is a professional golfer from Holywood in County Down who is a member of both the European and PGA Tours.
Rory McIlroy is a former World Number One and a two-time major champion. He won the 2011 U.S. Open, setting a record score of 16-under-par on his way to an eight-stroke victory.
The following year he won the 2012 PGA Championship at Kiawah Island by a record eight strokes for his second major championship victory.
He has been cited as the most exciting young prospect in golf and as having the potential to become one of the highest earners in sports in terms of endorsements.
Latest Rory McIlroy Sports Gossip News:
PGA golfer Rory McIlroy has called off his engagement to his professional tennis player girlfriend tennis player Caroline Wozniacki.
Caroline Wozniacki, a professional tennis player from Denmark and PGA Golfer Rory McIlroy have reportedly called off their engagement.
Rory McIlroy Trivia:
- Rory McIlroy is an Ambassador for UNICEF Ireland and made his first visit to Haiti with UNICEF in June 2011.
- His great uncle Joe McIlroy was killed by the Ulster Volunteer Force in a sectarian attack at his east Belfast home in November 1972.
- McIlroy dated Danish tennis professional Caroline Wozniacki from 2011 to 2014.
- He proposed on the 31 December 2013 in Sydney, where she said yes. On 21 May 2014, it was announced that McIlroy had ended the engagement: “The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had.”
- Roy McIlroy is a fan of Premier League team Manchester United.
- McIlroy’s main sporting passion outside of golf is for the Ulster Rugby Team. He often interrupts his busy golfing schedule to attend matches at Ravenhill, Belfast.
- McIlroy was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2012 New Year Honours for services to sport