Black Celebrity Gossip News
Black Celebrity Gossip, Insight into the world of Black Hollywood and what is fabulous in Black America.
Black Celebrity Gossip Timeline
- 1824 – The African Company became the first African-American drama group and produced plays at the African Grove in New York City.
- 1912 – The Railroad Porter, a comedy directed by Bill Foster (a pioneering black filmmaker), became the first black film.
- 1914 – Sam Lucas was the first African American actor to star in a full-length film playing the title role in Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
- 1921 – Shuffle Along opens on Broadway as the first musical written and performed by African Americans.
- 1922 – Louis Armstrong revolutionized jazz music after arriving in Chicago to play second trumpet in King Oliver’s Creole Jazz Band.
- 1930 – Katherine Dunham started Ballet Negres, America’s first black ballet company.
- 1933 – Caterina Jarboro became the first black person to perform with an American Opera company.
- 1940 – Hattie McDaniel was the first black person to win an Oscar, after winning best supporting actress for her role in Gone With the Wind.
- 1945 – Ebony magazine is founded by John H. Johnson and is an instant success.
- 1955 – Musician Chuck Berry arrives in Chicago and records Maybellene, an immediate sensation among teenagers. The hit helps shape the evolution of rock and roll.
- 1956 – Arthur Mitchell, future director of the Dance Theatre of Harlem, becomes the only black dancer in the New York City Ballet.
- 1959 – Motown Record Corporation is founded by Berry Gordy, Jr. The Motown sound dominates African-American popular music through the 1960s and attracts a huge crossover audience becoming the sound of young america.
- 1959 – Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, becomes the first drama written by a black woman to be produced on Broadway.
- 1963 – Sidney Poitier wins the Academy Award as best actor for his performance in Lilies of the Field.
- 1965 – Bill Cosby became the first black lead actor on television in the drama I Spy.
- 1967 – Jimi Hendrix makes a spectacular debut at the Monterey International Pop Festival, following the release of his first album, Are You Experienced?
- 1971 – Beverly Johnson is known as the first black supermodel after gracing the cover of Glamour.
- 1972 – Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids premieres as the first cartoon with an all-black cast.
- 1974 – Foxy Brown, starring Pam Grier, perhaps the most famous “blaxploitation” (a film genre staring and targetting African-Americans) film ever, is released.
- 1977 – Alex Haley’s Roots: The Saga of an American Family (1976) is adapted for [KWLINK10667]television[/KWLINK], becoming one of the most popular shows in the history of American television.
- 1980 – Black Entertainment Television (BET) was launched by Bob Johnson, now owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.
- 1981 – Bob Marley, the most influential figure in reggae music, dies.
- 1982 – Michael Jackson creates a sensation with the album Thriller, which becomes one of the most popular albums of all time, selling more than 40 million copies.
- 1983 – Oprah Winfrey takes over AM Chicago, which is then renamed the Oprah Winfrey show.
- 1983 – Eddie Murphy releases Delirious, a film of his stand up comedy, and stars in Saturday Night Live.
- 1984 – The Cosby Show, starring comedian Bill Cosby, becomes one of the most popular situation comedies in television history and is praised for its [KWLINK 7045]cross-cultural appeal and avoidance of racial stereotypes.
- 1984 – Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin form Def Jam Records and begin shaping the industry of hip hop as we know it.
- 1993 – Angela Bassett became the first African-American woman to win the best actress Golden Globe Award for her role as Tina Turner in What’s Love Got to Do with It?
- 2001 – Denzel Washington became the only black Academy Award winner to win both lead and supporting actor Oscars after wins for Glory and Training Day.
- 2002 – Halle Berry becomes the first African-American woman to win the Academy Award for best actress for her role in Monster’s Ball.
Black Celebrity Gossip Archives: