Usher Gossip and Trivia
“I like a woman who takes care of herself – it says something about the way she’ll care for me.” OUOTE: Usher
Usher Terry Raymond IV began singing when he was six years old, joining the local church choir at the behest of his mother, Jonnetta Patton, who acted as choir director. Patton, a single mom, raised Usher and his younger brother, James, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, before moving the family to Atlanta, Georgia, when Usher was 12 years old.
- Usher was chosen one of “Teen People” magazine’s “21 Hottest Stars Under 21” (1999).
- American R&B/rap singer, who has sold approximately 30 million albums worldwide.
- Attended North Springs High School in Sandy Springs, Georgia.
- Broke up with Rozonda ‘Chilli’ Thomas (2004).
- [April 2004] His 5th album, “Confessions”, was released in the U.S. It sold over 1.1 million copies in its first week, the highest first-week total ever for an R&B album.
- Usher won 2 Grammy Awards, Best Male R&B Performance 2001 for U Remind Me, and Best Male R&B Performance 2002 for U Don’t Have To Call.
- Usher is the godson of actor Ben Vereen.
- Usher is a co-owner of the (NBA team) Cleveland Cavaliers.
- At 12.1 seconds, he holds the record on Star Search (1983) for the longest note sung by a child.
- Has a road named after him, the “Usher Raymond Parkway” in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Voted #1 on BET’s “All Shades of Fine: The 25 Hottest Men of the Past 25 Years” (2005)
- Has known R&B singer Alicia Keys since he was 16.
- Celebrated his 26th birthday in the “Rainbow Room” in the Rockafella Center. among the guests at the party were Sean Combs, Patti LaBelle, Donald Trump and his wife Melania Trump, Naomi Campbell, Jay-Z, Jermaine Dupri, Pharrell Williams, and Mariah Carey.
- Usher is good friends with R&B/Soul artist Robin Thicke.
- Due to a flu, he had to cancel all of his performances in the Broadway Musical “Chicago” due to the flu in early 2006, but finally took over the role of “Billy Flynn” on 22 August, receiving mixed critics.
- Won three Grammy Awards in 2005 for “R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals”, “Rap/Sung Collaboration” and “Contemporary R&B Album”.
- Married Tameka Foster in a civil ceremony after canceling their wedding six days earlier (3 August 2007).
- Usher was ranked #47 on VH1’s 100 Sexiest Artists.
- Children (with Foster) Usher Terry Raymond V “Cinco” (b. November 26, 2007 at 7 lbs 9 oz) and Naviyd Ely Raymond (b. December 10, 2008 at 5 lbs 13 oz), both born in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Was originally cast as C.C. White in Dreamgirls (2006) but later quit as he was unable to dedicate six months to the project. Keith Robinson was cast instead.
- Announced that Usher will make his Broadway debut in Chicago as the role of Billy Flynn, the slick lawyer who never lost a case for any female prisoner. [July 2006]