Shakria Gossip and Trivia
Grammy-winning Latina pop singer Shakira was born in Barranquilla, Colombia, on February 2, 1977.
Her father is a Lebanese American immigrant and her mother a native of Colombia of Italian and Spanish descent. Shakira began her musical career at age 12 and quickly captured fans throughout Latin America. She won the 2001 Best Latin pop Grammy for her “MTV Unplugged” album.
” My brain, I believe, is the most beautiful part of my body.” QUOTE: Shakria
- Shakria announced engagement to Antonio de la Rua, son of the then president of Argentina. [March 2001]
- Is the youngest of eight siblings.
- Shakira is Arabic for “grateful” or “full of grace.”
- Shakria was named her album “Laundry Service” because when she is in love she feels “clean and fresh”
- Fluent in Portuguese, Italian, and English, in addition to Spanish.
- Her Lebanese grandmother taught her the art of Arabian Belly Dancing so she can stay true to her Middle Eastern roots.
- Shakria has perfect pitch (the ability to recognize any note upon hearing it or sing any note without prior to hearing it)
- Her manager for Latin America, Patricia Téllez, the woman who helped her go from being a local artist to Grammy-winning global artist, died of a heart attack in Bogota on 17 August 2004.
- Shakria was ranked #9 in Stuff magazine’s “102 Sexiest Women in the World” (2002).
Shakria Gossip and Trivia Continued
- Father’s name is William Mebarak Chadid and mother’s name is Nidia del Carmen Ripoll Torrado.
- Her mother is Colombian, her ancestry being half Catalan Spanish and half Italian and her father is American-born of Lebanese ancestry.
- When she was two years old her oldest half-brother died in an accident while he was riding a motorcycle and a drunk man hit him with his car.
- Her oldest half-sister Lucy is a surgeon, Alberto, her half-brother, is a lawyer, Moisés is the third child, Tonino is the fourth child and the closest to Shakira, having worked many years as her road manager. Then is Patricia who lives in Spain, she is a special education teacher, and finally there is Antonio and Edward, the youngest who lives in Miami.
- The first English song she wrote was Objection, from the album Laundry Service.
- Lost her suitcase with all her songs from “Dónde están los ladrones?” in an airport in Bogotá Colombia. This happened a couple of months before she walked into the recording studio to begin on that album.
- Mattel put out several Barbie dolls inspired by Shakira and her look.
- Her album ‘Fijación oral Vol.1’ is #1 on the Billboard Latin Albums Chart in September 2005.
- Attended La Ensenanza School in Barranquilla.
- Her English language album ‘Oral Fixation 2’ will be released in November 2005.
- Lists John Lennon as her #1 musical influence.
- Her cousin is fashion designer and Miss Colombia 2006, Valerie Domínguez Tarud.
- Ranked as #76 in FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005” special supplement. (2005)
- Was featured as #15 in Maxim Magazine’s “Hot 100 of 2002” supplement. (2002)
- Shakria has homes in the Bahamas; Miami; Barranquilla, Colombia; and Barcelona, Spain.
- She was attached to play “Mimi” in a television mini-series based on the Broadway musical “Rent”, with Neil Patrick Harris as “Mark Cohen”, Wilson Cruz as “Angel”, and Rikki Lee Travolta as “Roger Davis”, but the rights were pulled in order for Chris Columbus to make a film adaptation using much of the original Broadway cast.
- Her recording of “La tortura” was a #1 hit in many countries, most of them in Europe.
- “Hips Don’t Lie” instantly soared to the top of the charts in many countries and has been at the very top for many months. It has won countless awards and is currently being performed all over the world along with Wyclef Jean.
- Named #20 in FHM magazine’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006” supplement. (2006).
- Is a huge fan of Bollywood movies and music from India. She got in touch with Farah Khan, the most famous choreographer in India, and asked her if she could choreograph a dance for her performance at the 2006 MTV Video Awards. That night, her performance was the most memorable one as she sang and danced to ‘Hips Don’t Lie’ in traditional Indian clothing.
- Best concert she ever saw – Depeche Mode.
- While promoting “Pies descalzos”, she returned to Barranquilla in 1997 for a huge homecoming concert, the first one since becoming a star. Tragedy struck that night when the venue failed to control the 50,000 fans rushing in to see their star. Two people ended up being trampled to death, and this deeply affected her.
- Ranked #38 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.
- Ranked #33 on VH1’s 100 Sexiest Artists.
- Her first tape was Donna Summers’s Bad girls.
- Sport – likes to play golf, tennis, basketball and swimming.
- Has three dogs – Coquito, Chan and Gordita.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine reported that her 2006 earnings were estimated at $38 million.
- Split from Antonio de la Rúa after 10 years together (2010).
- Close friend of Gabriela Vaca Guzman.
- She wrote her first poem, “La rosa de cristal” when she was four years old.
- Her half-brother died at a motorcycle accident when she was two. So at the age of eight she wrote her first song entitled “Tus Gafas Oscuras”. which was inspired by her father because he always wore dark glasses to hide his grief.
- Shakria was appointed by Barack Obama to serve on his Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics [October 5, 2011].
- Protege of Emilio Estefan Jr..
- Shakria received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on November 8, 2011.
- Ranked #18 in Men’s Health 100 Hottest Women of All Time (2011).
- Shakria has been in a relationship with Gerard Piqué since 2010 and they have one son together.
- Gave birth to her 1st child at age 35, a son Milan Piqué Mebarak on January 22, 2013. Child’s father is her boyfriend, Gerard Piqué. Milan weighed approximately 6 pounds, 6 ounces at birth.
- Shakria delivered her son Milan via Caesarean section.
- Was 3 months pregnant with her son Milan when she completed recording her 8th studio album.
- Returned to work 2 months after giving birth to her son Milan in order to begin coaching on The Voice (2011).
- Her favorite actor is Hugh Grant.
- Shakria released the first of two new albums “Fijación oral – Vol. 1”. All songs on this album are in Spanish. [June 2005]
- Launch of her fragrance, S by Shakira.
- Slated to have a new album in early 2005 [November 2004]