Rihanna Gossip and Trivia
Rihanna was born in a parish in Barbados called St. Michael. She lived the life of a normal island girl going to Combermere, a top sixth form school.
Rihanna won numerous beauty pageants and performed Mariah Carey “Hero” in a school talent show. Her life changed forever when one of her friends introduced her to Evan Rodgers, a producer from New York who was in Barbados for a vacation with his wife, who is a native.
Rodgers arranged for her to go to New York to meet Jay-Z, CEO of Def Jam Records. He heard her sing and knew she was going to be incredibly successful. She was 16 when she was signed to Def Jam. Since then, she’s amassed phenomenal success.
(jokingly responding when being questioned about a rumored relationship) “I hate to burst your bubble but I’m dating girls!” QUOTE: Rihanna
- Rihanna was signed to Def Jam Records
- Her musical inspirations include Alicia Keys, Beyoncé Knowles and Destiny’s Child, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Gwen Stefani, Bob Marley and Brandy Norwood.
- Attended Combermere which is a sixth form school similar to high school in America.
- Rihanna performed Mariah Carey’s “Hero” at her school’s talent show.
- Rihanna won a beauty pageant at her school.
- Her father is from Barbados and her mother is from Guyana. Rihanna’s paternal grandfather, Reginald Leslie Forde, was of Afro-Bajan descent. Rihanna’s paternal grandmother, Betty Fenty, who is caucasian, has Scottish, English, and Irish ancestry. Rihanna’s mother is of Afro-Guyanese descent.
- Rihanna has two younger brothers Rorrey and Rajad.
- Rihanna stated in an interview that her friend and former Island Def Jam record label artist Fefe Dobson was someone that she admired and looked up to. Having a fellow black artist writing, singing, and performing the music she truly loves.
- Rihanna was ranked #8 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.
- Sampled “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ ” by Michael Jackson from his ” Thriller” album in her song “Please Don’t Stop the Music”.
- Rihanna was ranked #15 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.
- According to Fashion Lifestyle she’s had over 150 hairstyles since her music career took off in 2005. Her trademarks are her Long Straight Brown (2006), Medium Length Black Bob (2007) and Short Cropped look (2008).
- Rihanna made an estimated $15,000,000 in 2008. (Source) – Forbes Magazine.
- Was tagged “The Digital Download Queen” due to her songs being downloaded over 75,000,000 times combined.
- Her 3rd studio album ‘Good Girl Gone Bad’ (2007) was the 3rd highest selling album in the world in 2007 and was the 8th highest 2008. It has sold just under 8 million copies worldwide and has spawned 3 number one Hot 100 hits and 2 worldwide number ones.
- Appeared on the cover of Italian Vogue for there “Extreme Couture” edition. [September 2009].
- Her ex-boyfriend, Chris Brown, was sentenced to five years of probation, six months of community service and one year of domestic violence counseling as a result of his attack on her in February, 2009 [August 29, 2009].
- Rihanna is good friends with Katy Perry.
- Her 3rd single ‘Rude Boy’, from her 4th studio album ‘Rated R’, became her sixth US number one single. This makes her the most successful female artist of the last 10 years.
- She and then-boyfriend Chris Brown canceled their performance at the Grammys in February 2009 just hours before the show started after Brown was caught up in a late-night domestic dispute, which later turned out to be a physical attack on Rihanna.
- Rihanna is the highest paid female celebrity to sit front row at fashion shows. She’s paid an estimated $100,000, followed by Beyoncé Knowles, who is estimated at $80,000.
- Is a big fan of Depeche Mode, The Prodigy and Chase & Status. She worked with Chase & Status on her album “Rated R” after calling member Saul Milton up at 3 AM.
- Selling 62 million records since 2005, she’s the most successful artist over the last decade. She also is the first ever artist ever to have 5, 3X platinum selling digital singles.
- Broke her own record by scoring her 7th US number one. “Love The Way You Lie” with Eminem became her 7th number one single in 5 years. This gives her the most number ones from an artist in the last 10 years.
- Rihanna has attained nine number one Hot 100 singles. Three of them were achieved in 2010. She become the only female in American history to have her first single to go number one after the second. [Febuary 2011].
- In the UK, she became the only female; and the only artist in 52 years to have three top ten songs at once on the ‘UK Official Chart’. She also became the first female artist; in the history of the chart, to have a number one in five consecutive years.
- She has Seven number one singles in Australia as of Febuary 2011, making her the only non Australian artist to do so in the last 20 years.
- Her 5th studio album ‘Loud’, sold 2.8 million copies worldwide in 3 months. The album also marks the launch of her business “Rihanna Entertainment”[Febuary 2011].
- Billboard named Rihanna the Digital Songs Artist of the 2000s decade.
- Rihanna is worth an estimated $143 million. [Forbes Febuary 2011].
- Her controversial music video for “S&M”, was banned in 11 countries within a day of it’s release. This is Rihanna’s second video to cause controversy as “Te Amo” was banned in many countries due to its same-sex nature.
- As of March 1st, she’s reached over 1.2 billion YouTube views on her official Vevo page.
- Q Magazine named her one of the top 100 acts of the last century. [November 2009].
- Became the youngest black female to grace the cover of American-Vogue [March 2011].
- The song S&M featuring Britney Spears become her 10th No. 1 song on Billboard Hot 100.
- At the 2011 BET awards, Rihanna was mistakenly announced as the winner of the Viewer’s Choice Award. The actual winner was her ex-boyfriend Chris Brown, who later received the award.
- Rihanna was ranked #43 in the 2010 FHM UK list of “100 Sexiest Women in the World”.
- Named “Sexiest Woman” for 2011 by Esquire magazine [October 12, 2011]. Esquire gives the title of “sexiest woman” to a different celebrity each year.
- While filming a music video for her song “We Found Love” in Ireland, the farmer whose land was borrowed as a setting for the video, asked the crew to stop filming and leave the land after he objected to Rihanna’s revealing outfits and state of undress, which he deemed as “inappropriate”. (2011).
- Rihanna has 14 tattoos so far in 2011.
- In a 2011 interview with Esquire, Rihanna stated that she is a fan of the music by Chris Brown.
- “We found love” is her 11th number one song.
- Friends with Beyoncé Knowles and Jay-Z.
- Rihanna organized a bachelorette party for her close friend Katy Perry in 2010.
- In the 2011 Billboard online poll, Rihanna’s song “We Found Love” was voted as the 3rd Best Music Video for 2011 (receiving 11% of all votes), behind “Till the World Ends” by Britney Spears (45% of all votes), and “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga (23% of all votes). Rihanna also won for Best Awards Show Performance with Britney Spears at the 2011 Billboard Music Awards.
- In 2012 she collaborated with Chris Brown. On February 20 2012 (her 24th Birthday), Rihanna released the remix of her fourth single ‘Birthday Cake’, featuring Chris Brown. The single comes from her album ‘Talk That Talk.’ Brown also released a remix of his song ‘Turn up the Music’ featuring Rihanna.
- Rihanna was Ranked 4th on Forbes Celebrity 100 in 2012, with earnings of $53 million.
- One of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World (2012).
- Born on a Saturday at 12 PM.
More about Rihanna Here